Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Tank is almost clean

Today, October 7, 2014, I went to my internship at the HMNS. I was only there for one and a half hours but it was enough for Christine and I to get lots of stuff done. First, we went to the Sharks! exhibit, which she runs. While there we checked the tanks to make sure they were all running correctly. They have to types of sharks in the exhibit, bamboo sharks and walking sharks. The walking sharks are really funny because when they swim, they look as if they are walking on their fins. After making sure everything was running smoothly in Sharks! We went to the clownfish tank, which was full of water, and began siphoning out the sand and the water. We about 99% of the sand out of the tank, so our next step is to get that last one-percent out by draining the tank and scooping it out manually. After we siphoned as much sand as we could, we began scrubbing the sides of the tank with steelwool-like pads and acrylic blades to clean all the algae and crystalline coral off of the sides. I then left, but I look forward to coming back and finally finishing cleaning the tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment